Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Happy Birthday Canada




Today Canada is let me think 142 years old the country is not going senile just me.

I remember the fuss when we turned 100. We had Expo 67 the worlds fair in Montreal and my Grandparents took me. Mind you I was only 13 and they needed an translator. Quebec is Canada's French speaking province. Oddly of the 4 brothers I am the only one who speaks French. We all can read it. You see everything here comes in both official languages. As members of my family are too lazy to reach over and turn labels to the English side they can all read French. ( I have noticed whichever side any of us pick up is the side we read my bothers only we may strain our brains but not our wrists ). I am tempted to tell a couple of funny French and my family stories but they could be a whole page alone and it is the county's birthday so another time.

What are Canadian's most proud of. Not so much our acomplisments as parts of our character. In general we are very polite and have a sense of humor. An American movie with a lot of Canadian Actors points both out well. I am referring to "Canadian Bacon" directed by Micheal Moore the documentary guy and starring John Candy in his last role. Some parts may only be funny to Canadians. For example where the Americans poke fun at our Flag and Anthem no one cares but then the insulted our beer and a riot broke out. That is so Canadian most guys I know fell off their couches when they saw it laughing. Same when the police pull the stolen van over and don't arrest the Americans but make them re write all the graffitti they painted on it in French as well as English. The attack scene is funny too.

So to the World. Have a nice Day.

4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Canada. From what I've seen on Films and documentaries it is a beautiful country, I envy you....
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny post Sid, I haven't seen that movie but so want to now!!! I like all the Seth Rogan movies and how he always takes the piss out of the two movies comparatively. Canada is truely a beauiful country!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Canada is a cold country as you get snowed there most part of the year, but the people are warm and friendly - or is that just you?
    Happy B-day Canada!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No way Odette. By Canadian standards I'm rude crude and socially undesireable.

    ReplyDelete