Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Need to Believe in Fantasy



Everyone lives a world where we have loneliness, crowds, pressure, stress, boredom, anxiety, pain, and angst among other things. Each of us needs a mini vacation at least once a day and sometimes much more often then that. For some that seems to come only when we sleep and dream but few of us can even remember that which we dream.

We need a place to go to escape to and at some level we need to believe that in some way that place is real. Something similar to what Stephen King calls suspension of disbelief in the course he teaches at the University of Maine in Orono. ( bet many of you didn't know he has worked as a professor for years and even wrote textbooks. As you may of guessed he teaches how to write horror. He has a book Danse Macabre which is a text for the course but also good reading ). Basically suspension of disbelief is the ability to turn off the knowing something is not real and pretend it is in order to enjoy it. This is especially true with horror films. However and I am sure the ladies know this it is also very true of Guy films. After all they don't really make automatic pistols that can fire nine hundred thousand rounds without reloading then run out of ammo just at the right time.

As I said some of us only go to such fantasy worlds in our dreams and it was a dream inspired this piece. Last night or rather as I woke this morning I was dreaming I was in a very large store shopping for a fantasy. Not the kind that gets printed in Men's Magazines. The Camelot, Gotham City, Sherwood Forest, King Solomon's Mines, James Bond kind of fantasy. A place we can go for adventure thrills love or what ever it is we are looking for. We each need a place or perhaps many such places. It is nice if we can close our eyes and take a trip to our own real life but imaginary movie where we are the main player. It can be anywhere, anytime and with anyone. However we need to in some small way believe that part of it is real. In a sense it is. Everything is created first in thought before our minds can tell us that it is in fact real. Also how we act and behave in these imaginary worlds can effect how we behave in real life to a great extent. So it is more important to save the world then rule it and fight for what is right then it is to be fought over.

So I encourage everyone to take these mini vacations when they can. These travels can ease loneliness. Give us a temporary respite from pain. Provide an outlet for frustrations and may have a million other uses I have not thought of.

So relax, daydream and fantasize just try to do it in what you know is a good way for you.

8 comments:

  1. I go off into my own world while I'm ironing! I completely shut off from everybody & everything....Bliss. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done it while ironing too Tracey and have the scars to prove it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sid, i daydream a lot! i do do it while sitting inside a car or bus, while doing laundry or ironing, while mending clothes, even in the middle of the tv program iam watching! yes, my mind would go off and create scenes and situation as i deemed like, nay want, need even, depending on my heart desires.
    coming back to reality is not a prob, i know that somewhere, sometime, i can always go back to that special place - a private haven where i can have my real fantasies, my real inspirations. i invited no man in this private sanctuary of fantasy which has become vital to me as it is the life-sustaining breath of fantasy to my reality.
    damn, that does even make sense? Hahaha!!!
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think what you are trying to say that you already do what I recommend people do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, coz that's one of the cheapest escape i can have. the other is reading books, as this also transport me into a different world and give me the front seat to an exciting story taking place w/in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Damn I'm just so boring I don't fantasise:)
    I hate ironing and avoid it like the plague. Is imaginative and fantasy the same though. Because I have a really warped and sick imagination......

    ReplyDelete
  7. Imaginative is a slightly different skill. It is the ability to think abstractly or of things which are not there. It includes fantasy but can also be that which leads to invention. In some cases these things can overlap. For example when it came out Star Trek communicator were a fantasy now cell phones blow them away.

    How one behaves in fantasy is a personality shaping tool. If you fantasize Gotham are you Batman or the Joker. Good or Evil. Light or Dark. Merlin or Mordred.

    ReplyDelete