Saturday, July 4, 2009

A Life Changing Day


Forty years ago on the first Saturday of July I had one of those days which seem insignificant at the time but in retrospect changed my life. On that day myself and some of my school friends Kevin Pawson, Dietmar Schoenrock, Dave Cunning, Tony Smith & Rolf Renz left for our first day of full time Cadet Camp. We spent the next six weeks doing what was essentially basic training at Camp Ipperwash. Somehow over the next 42 we all changed in many subtle ways. I do think that in each case it was for the better. Most of us were 15 at the time. I had been to a few Scout and Cub Scout Camps prior to this. I don’t think any of the others had been in Scouting but I don’t know for sure.

The Aim of the Cadet movement is to develop in youth the attributes of good citizenship & leadership. To promote physical fitness and to stimulate an interest in the sea, land and air elements of the Canadian Armed Forces. I had to memorize that for a test a couple years later. I still remember it word for word. A couple of Days ago I mentioned 40 years was coming up to Diet who asked “ How do you remember stuff like that “. To be honest I don’t know I seem to be able to remember everything I have ever read. Sounds like my own voice being played back on tape inside my head.

We had swimming I think everyday. There were sports in the evening. We drilled, camped out a couple days each week. Spent a few days on the rifle range. Studied map & compass, fieldcraft, campcraft, outdoor living skills. We slept in barracks or on bivouacs. We learned to trust and depend on each other and we became trust worthy and dependable.

The name of the Course was Cadet Leader. The next year Diet and Kevin went on Cadet Leader Instructor. I went on Cadet Leader Rifle Coach. Several months later in March we went for a week of testing for Master Cadet. All of us place in the top 20 of a course which had a 30% fail rate. I placed first and many years later were to discover I had not only gotten the high score for that area but the whole of Canada. That summer the three of us went on Advanced Cadet Leader at Banff in the Canadian Rockies. That along with the summer 3 years later when I returned as a Mountain Climbing and Glacier Travel instructor was probably the most enjoyable in my life. On the other hand we worked out butts off. Funny how we get the most enjoyment out of things in which have to put the most effort.

For those who have the chance to something of this sort I highly recommend doing it. I think the large majority of those who tried changed very much for the better. A few were unable to deal with being away from home and those usually went home in the first few days of their first camp. Cadets have been toned down in many ways. For example the weapons training is all but a thing of the past. Also Cadets is Co-ed now by coincidence the weapons training went about the same time the girls were admitted. I don’t think it was the result of the girls enrolling but of our parliament at that time not having a single member who had served in the Armed Forces. In my view it is frightening when those who want to run the country do not have a single individual who was willing to put him or herself at risk for that country. However even with the changes it is still something I would recommend for any young person.

4 comments:

  1. as i have said in our conversation. your training in the infantry had shaped you on what and who you are today. you have discipline, strong in faith and character, and you deal with life circumstances better than most. i am pleased and honored to have met you Sid.
    one question, when can we go camping???
    xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can go Camping on any day with a y in it's name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think every youth of 15 should do this, I think it would make kids into far better adults. This country has a lot of yobs that should be sent for hard labour...As usual, brilliant post. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, I believe my eldest son would benefit from this. They would probably throw him out though!
    My younger, more stable son is planning on joining the Army, he would do well:)
    I'm glad you had an awesome experience:)
    Kind regards.
    Kirst

    ReplyDelete