Saturday, July 11, 2009

Impulse Control



I have heard it said that stress if a result of the conflict created when your mind over rules body's impulse to strangle someone who desperately needs it.

I guess that's why we have more stress as we get older. When younger we haven't yet leaned how to control our impulses and immature is someone who never learns. Regardless of age. There are lots of other impulses we have to control and often we don't. Like an extra piece of something fattening when we are trying to lose weight. Or procrastinating when we know we really should be doing something. I know one of the reasons normal students hate mature students is the latter start an assignment the moment it is assigned instead of waiting till the night before. I know the profs often used me as an example when others said they hadn't had time. They would get " Sid works full time and handed it in the next week ". One had an answer " It's not fair to compare normal people to him he's a genius and military trained. " To which the prof said " What you said isn't an argument for extensions it's an argument for bringing back the Draft."

I have a bad time putting the brakes on my mouth. Sometimes I fail. Not too long ago I was in line at the checkout of a local store and a woman in front was giving the cashier an awful hard and unwarranted time. There was quite a long line up. Partly as a result of this woman ( notice the word Lady was never considered here ). I slipped my mouth opened and out came the words. " Shouldn't you be home feeding the flying monkeys they must be hungry with you wasting so much time." Suddenly those in line started clapping. She shut up paid and left. When I got to the cash the girl there whispered thank you. So just maybe once in a while we should break down and let our impulses take control and strangle someone who desperately needs it.

Kirst: I think maybe the reason Doctors no longer wear stethoscopes is someone lacking said impulse control used it to do just that.

6 comments:

  1. UUm took a while for me to digest this well written post.
    I'm not sure of the context....(not long woken up, brain slooow)
    It could be seen from many angles.
    In relation to the comment 1. Is my Dr going to strangle me?
    Or 2. I her lol.
    In my case I believe because she knew I was suffering from residual effects of P.T.S.D (from trauma) that anything I said or did was ignored, hence being left to suffer.

    In another context, I write directly from heart to head and maybe sometimes I post things that perhaps should have stayed in ones head:)Which can be seen as impulsive, or purging of all ill.

    I have spent the last three years trying to avoid stress, it is one of the reasons I have hibernated in my cave and avoided any relationships. I have purged people who are toxic from my life and focused on moving forward(with a battering ram at times)
    It has been cathartic/healing and great to rediscover myself. I still have hurts from the past which jump up occasionally, but that is life.

    I love the comparison between you and the students..priceless! Your posts reflect a genius mind
    Take care:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always open my mouth when perhaps I shouldn't, sometimes this is detrimental. I am well known for this and have always been open, honest & speak my mind!
    Love the dear Lord cartoon at the top! LOL
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. i laugh at tweety too!!! yeah, its always hard to do away with traits that have become a habit. i admit i dont always open my mouth for fear of hurting people. so i keep my thoughts to myself.
    but i admire you for putting the woman to her place coz she had been rude to the cashier and to others waiting in line. if i was there i would be clapping too with the rest.
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to kill people with kindness. I muster up my biggest smile and pay them a compliment, give a big thank you even if I want to murder them with m bare hands, and I have found it to be very effective. Here in California, an insult could get you shot by a crazy person just for the heck of it. I probably would have said, "Oh my goodness! Let's call a manager to help this poor customer so she won't have to waste any more of her time here."
    I do love your flying monkey line, and I would have laughed all the way home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if you read anyting about my background from our mutual fellow bloggers. I have had guns pulled on me and knives. I was a platoon commander ( Lt Infantry ) for 8 years and then worked 29 years on the subway. As an Emeregency Mechanic or a mechanic that works on the trains when they are moving. Once I got on a train that had no commuications thinking it was a raido problem. The gunman had kept anyone from calling for help. I stepped on he pointe the gun at me I training kicked in and I had the gun in my pocket and he had a broken knee. The driver radioed for police and it was a good thing there was a train full to people to back up my version. I talked a policeman into saying he did it to avoid the red tape of putting myself in danger. That became the offical version but the truth was all over the company the next day. I don't know how many I took knives off of but if I got on a train where a nut was waving a knife I pulled my 24 oz ballpine hammer out of it's holster (soon all the mechanics had them made ) and said that needs to cut a vital organ. What this touches breaks. Before I was a mechanic I was a mechanic I was an army officer. Then in a parade square voice "Sit" all sat.

    I should point out in addition to military training ( which is only practical in life or death ) I have Judo, Karate and was on my schools varsity wrestling team. Thing is I'm small. My voice is not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kirst; do doubt about it. You her

    ReplyDelete