Sunday, October 31, 2010

Army Slang and Insults

Odette was not familiar with Acronyms, Odette since you have not been here long enough to pick them all up don't worry you will. But if you hear one and want to know what it means email me and I will tell you. Mind you Canada and the US are not exactly the same for them.

I know I use a fair bit of army slang. I generally ( nothing to do with Generals ) try to avoid it here. However I realize it may slip out so I will mentions some of my favorites.

A Commando ( US calls them special forces, ) Slang term: Rough and Tough and hard to Diaper.

Very, very dangerous. Slang term: Killed more men than an Army Cook.

Motto of the Commandos ( not slang real motto ): Death from Above

Motto of the Army Cooks corps ( joke motto ): Death from Within

The Army usually during the various times of Basic, Each promotion includes training courses that include versions of Basic meant to be harder and also suit the new job. Go up the infantry ladder and it can get vicious. One thing while you are doing things like trying to not let go of a rope from exhaustion, or keep moving on a 5 mile run with a 10 pound rifle and 40 to 60 pound pack are insults. It's not mean they serve a purpose. At first to make you madder to carry on. Later to get you used to ignoring insults not letting things get to you if for example a protester spits on you ( something I never understood, don't the realize those guns are not for show they are loaded and with live ammo ). Since I was often the one yelled at ( but remember the good ones yelled at others I will do them in first person.

Brechin, it's a case of Mind over Matter, I don't Mind you don't Matter.

Brechin, No One is totally useless. You can always serve as a horrible example.

My favorite which was not part of training just a comment. A Major was making a comment about an Officer Cadet who was a friend of mine and some other Lieutenants standing having a drink in the mess. ( Officers club in the States ). He said " That man has no class " Mike another Lieutenant piped up " Are you Kidding Ron's got more class than anyone I know. It's all Low but it's still Class "

Which goes to show the wisecracks and insults can go either direction up the chain of command.

First up the chain one I heard I was on Rifle coach course as a 16 year old Cadet. 3rd week of a 6 week course. We were all gathered in the common room for a chewing out. Sgt says " I have been getting calls and letters from some of your Mothers. They are complaining you guys are not calling or writing home. I'm 33 years old and still write my Mother every week."

Voice from the back of the Room ( won't name him but he did go on to win the Pan Am gold medal for large bore rifle ) " Does she ever write back? "

With that remark the Sgt lost control of the room. Whole team was confined to barracks for two days but was worth it. I have a story I am telling 40 years later.

2 comments:

  1. hahaha! there sure are lot's of funny tales among armed men. this goes either way too - military and the insurgents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should point out that when Odette uses the word insurgents it is not in the way most westerners use the word today. She is talking about the People of the Phillipines who stayed behind to fight the Japanese occupying forces in WWII. She is not speaking about the insurgents that are fighting the troops in the Middle East today.

    So when she say's the word we should look at it in the same light we would say WWII vets.

    ReplyDelete