Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Pen is Mighter Than the Sword but it's No Match for a Gun



For anyone wondering yes I have been doing some work on my books. I am finding the hardest part that I am writing for a target readership whom I have not wrote for in the past.

On top of that I have not been sleeping well for the past several days due to nightmares. Which explains being up at 5AM my sleeping patterns are way off.

So over the next little while certain of you will be getting chunks of the serious book to look over for me and those who agreed to do this thank you very much. The reason you will be getting chunks rather than the whole thing is some chapters are only applicable in some parts of the world. For example Tracey doesn't need to know about Polar bears. I almost typed beers instead of Bears and I am sure she knows they are cold and that is all she will practically need to know about them. ( we actually have such a thing here and in the states and the can changes colour if the beer is cold enough. This is not a joke ask your yankee readers. )

The only person I expect will read all the chapters is Matt who is ex US Navy but part of that is out of interest on his part and part out of a church duty that overlaps. My brother George will likely read it all and make suggestions but he was there for much of my polishing the skills and if anything is even better at it than I am. He can also get more technical yet has more of a talent for putting it in common words than I do so I definitely want him to look it over. He is the type of guy who if he feel in a hole with a Polar Bear after the screaming stopped George would climb out burp, wearing a new white fur outfit, with a supply of meat to last a couple weeks and fuel made from the fat. He would have also known not to eat the one part of only two fur bearing animals which is poison to humans.

Oddly while writing memoirs and stories the computer is great. For the survival aide memoir I am finding old fashioned paper and ink or pencil more practical who would have guessed. Especially since I have been using Word Processors since they had a name and before that could use a manual typewriter. Odd some things we learn about ourselves.

4 comments:

  1. I can think better with a pen & paper. I think it goes back to school days, after all that's all we had! A polar beer sounds quite good!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah the cans come in 3 colours depending on temp. Warn, cold and ice cold

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know you were born Jan 14th - mines the day before. Nice blog - not sure what's up with the seeming focus on harm to men's privates but the two pics I saw made me cringe. http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1940385 see if this one makes you think of protecting your package. Strange that's what men think of - never mind we could lose an arm or a leg or something or even get killed but get our package shot off? Yeah....that's WORSE than death.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Grandparent's told me during the war there was an expression DSO. There is a medal very high on the list of medals called the Distinguished Service Order. The slang term was short for you know what shot off. However as my Grandparents, doctors of the time learned to make a reasonable substitute using a muscle from a mans leg. I can't imagine what advances have been made in the years since. After all if they can do sex change operations I guess it is no longer the horror it once was.

    ReplyDelete