Thursday, October 28, 2010

Truth in Acronyms

Today we use a ton of Acronyms.

Not a new thing I think while serving it was possible to have a two hour conversation with another soldier and never us a single real word. Everything in acronyms. You got to know when you were out of control when every paragraph ended with over and every conversation with out. Also the word yes became replaced with Roger. That no end tended to bug my brother Roger btw.

However when I say truth in Acronyms I a referring to take a common expression and make it sound more masculine or politically correct or whatever in order to sell something.

What pops to mind is a drug. Specifically any drug to treat what they created the term ED for. All my life we had a term for ED that applied that they chose not to make an acronym and the only reason I can think of is ED seems less funny than CGIU. Now I have never heard anyone say CGIU. They have always said the term in full. However since it has been around at least a lot longer than me why get cute and invent the term erectile dysfunction, when for ages CGIU was used.

in a useless aside how many knew that the mostly male medical community were greatly divided about weather PMS even existed until it was successfully used as a temporary insanity defence in an English murder case.

5 comments:

  1. Your knowledge of all things, even brewers droop, never ceases to amaze me!!!!!xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got me Tracey but I have no idea what Brewer's droop is. Here I was making reference to the slang term Can't Get It Up.

    The boys in Marketing must have dreamed up ED cause they were to sensitive to say it. However I can say from personal experience that too much of a Brewer's main product can result in CGIU

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also can't stand up

    Can't keep dinner down

    & who made the toilet hole so small it can't possibly be hit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just got it Tracey. Brewer's Droop is Brit for CGIU. See you taught me a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what's with all this acronyms? i am not familiar with any of them until Sid reveal what they stand for. maybe it's just male jargons...
    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete