Friday, January 29, 2010

What we have forgotten

Not long ago I read in a comic section of the paper about a kid with a wii ( I don't have one. I don't think I will get one though I could afford one. My dislike comes from watching older kids ( late teens ) playing tennis on the wii and thinking they are good tennis players because they get good scores in wii. Excuse me your feet never moved. Tennis players I know are beat after a game of chasing the ball all over the court. Stand in one place and you will not score a single point.

Back to the comic. The kids grandmother was saying when I was your age all we had to play with was a stick and a wooden hoop. A slight exageration then I realized. I have no idea how to made a wooden hoop. I with blacksmith tools make a metal hoop. ( yes I can remember blacksmiths though they were few and very far between. One of my classmates fathers was a blacksmith and even now the company I worked for employees two. For special jobs fabricating metal that would take way to long to contract out.

I wonder how many other simple things I never learned to do. I don't even know where to look them up. You won't find it on the net I bet and if you do won't understand the instructions.

Just a thought as I was falling to sleep that I decided to get up and blog.

6 comments:

  1. Well that was random! My mother asked me the other day where you had got to! (she reads your blog too)

    ReplyDelete
  2. H Sid,
    At least the wii gets some people moving. My neighbors are in their late 70's and do a little wii workout every day, and they are very proud of themselves for doing so. My kids don't care for the wii at all. They say it's for babies and old people!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. when did entertainment become an item? i can remember those days in our farm where there is no electricity and we entertain ourselves by playing tag under the moonlit night, and during days we play snooker, hiking, planting, climbing trees. chasing animals...and those were the most fantastic days in my life. just being with cousins and friends gave us an opportunity of shared activities. now people get their thrill from playing electronic games.
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad your Mom reads my blog Tracey. Encourage her to post as tons of knowlege is being lost to young folks like us ( god I'm nearning 60 and realizing that's still young ) are not passing it on. I really don't know how to make a wooden hoop. I can make a sling shot that can take down a deer ( or a human but that was two type of military survival training ). My mom has a cook book over 100 years old that includes recipies for things like squirel. ( My brother George was not impressed he has ate stuff would turn up the noses of the Beverly Hillbillies. Come to think of it I should talk. ). One of the things I like about the Legion is I will talk to the oldest vets there and learn all kinds of things. They will tell me things they won't most because I am not an associate but served myself even in peacetime the job I did lets them open up. I should eat at the old age home more often. I have a friend there who is only in his 30's but can't live without help. He can't use his hands has difficulty speaking but is at least as smart as I am. If I have a software problem I go to him. Hardware he calls me. Two of his brothers are the Twins teaching Bagpipes in China which is how I meet him. He can type almost as fast I can but uses his feet. Odette will be impressed by that as she has watched me type. I learned on the old typewriters so computers are easy.

    Will be posting later today as I had a breadthrough with my illness yesterday. Stella knows but I will blog on it in a few hours.

    Once again Thanks to Tracey's Mom for reading. And please comment. Years don't always provide wisdom but they sure do give a huge supply of funny or informative stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mum was 65 the same day as your birthday, she's young and funky.
    I'm pleased you managed to get out....well done! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know if you have birthday books there ( telling you what a person born each day is supposed to be like ) but on your Mom's birthday and hard as it may be to believe mine. It claims that is the day of the year the smartest people are born. So it must be the explanation for your mother being smart ( she had you didn't she ) and as they used to say in English class. I'm the exception that proves the rule.

    Wish I could go back in time to those English classes because I found in later life "The exception that proves the rule is a Law in Mathematics" In Math it means a single exception is enough to prove a rule FALSE.

    ReplyDelete