Wednesday, January 6, 2010

How can flowers have sex in this weather

I woke up this morning and aside from talking the dog with me and getting coffee. Things like working on the written things I wanted to do were out. My eyes were tearing badly usually my allergies. Took a double dose of anti-histamines to stop it ( they still itch a bit ) Normally I get this if more one of the things I'm allergic to are around. I'm going to turn up the Orick air cleaner for the day ( just thought of that but this is the first allergy event since I got it. previously I liked I could let smokers have a cigarette if next to it rather than step into the hall. Which doesn't really work as though the allergies won't act up I will smell it for days ) I expected this in the spring when the trees and flowers start their semi annual orgy. I say semi because some do it in the spring some in the fall. I test as allergic to grass too and they are exactly the same. The one so many are allergic to and usually badly ragweed ( I wonder if it got it's name because allergy irritation that bad comes close PMS in making people touchy ).

I have worked out one resolution that I am ready for and may even start early. I have a large collection of language lessons. I plan to daily ( haven't decided on my definition of daily yet, weekdays all but the sabbath or 7/365 ) listen to one lesson reviewing a language ( English won't count unless I find a bunch of those voice and diction tapes or Some kind of read along with Shakespeare. I love reading him and the Romantic era poets aloud. Tracey's Byron remark recently was funnier than she could have meant as he and Shelly are my favorites though Elizabeth Barret Browning is darn good. Anyway by one I know right now limits me to French and Japanese. I have roughly 90 half lessons of each. I also want to play one new language each day. So that is an hour per day. To start with I may concentrate on one language at a time am thinking of starting with Tagalog or Odettes national language.I have two separate sets of lessons for it. One includes written and I will start with that one so I can make notes for the one which does not include written.

My written Japanese needs work too. Japanese is not a difficult language till you hit reading and writing. I find it a logical language unlike English or French. French is a bit weird for me as I learned both Canadian and French French. To compare Canadian French has a lot of very old words as if a Frenchman were listening to someone talk in Shakespearian English plus words for newer things borrowed from English. Example the French word for gasoline is l'essense in Quebec it's la gas.

Canada belongs to two language clubs one for French speaking nations and the other for English. Both have over 100 members ( which still surprises me )

Other resolutions and how I will follow them will follow. Ray for your info few in this province speak French and almost none along your route to set your mind at ease. AS until today when it is about zero it had been hovering near -18C That is about -2 for Ray and Mimi. I have been feeling for Chet. The stores keep playing that song about roasting his nuts on a open fire.

8 comments:

  1. About the smoke I don't smell it if they were near the machine but it hangs in the air in the hall to downstairs and the front door.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do me a favour please, post a picture of Canada and the USA & mark on it where you are and where Ray is so I know, because Geography is not my 'thing'! Thank you in advance...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea Tracey. I will have to look for one Canada is the world's second largest country and the US the world's fifth so I will see what I can find. Ray can't drive straight here as the great lakes are in the way. Distance wise it's about the same as from the south of England to the north of Scotland maybe more. I will see what I can find.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracey I mailed you a map. I would normally drive around the other side of the lake which adds a lot of distance. I have never taken this route.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sid, my language is phonetically easy to learn and read because we basically use the alphabet, unlike the chinese and japanese. but just the same, i am amazed at how fast you were able to learn those two languages. i wonder if you also intend to learn farsi?
    i should send you the books i had promised...
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been toying with the idea of after my parents have passed on moving back to Toronto, Odette. There the board of Education offers 14 Languages in Saturday morning classes and during summer school where you go 6 hours a day for a month. That is were I got started in Japanese I made the mistake that the description intermediate meant difficulty level. It meant 2nd year. However only enough students to run the course if none dropped out had registered. Four others also all adults so didn't need the grade towards a diploma ( all had them most of us had college ) they all agreed to try. We all worked our butts off the teacher was excellent working with us as two groups and I guess you say I stuck with it. My final grade was a 76%. For that class it put me about halfway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forgot to say Farsi is one of the 14 languages offered. For those courses English French Spanish German Italian are not on the list. However you could take those at night school or various private courses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In Farsi U could read Varand's "Whispers of Beyond" which is great poetry.However, I prefer Urdu and Faiz Ahmed Faiz's poetry.He is also distinguished looking. Urdu has a sweetness and delicacy that few other languages have.

    ReplyDelete