Sunday, January 3, 2010

Kick it in the Bucket List

I make my resolutions between new years and my birthday which is only 2 weeks later by which time most folks have broken every item on their lists. I don't do bad since I don't just put something down but a how to do it.

I usually last 3 months to item crossed off as done. I do some slipping after the 3 months but am not to bad at getting back on the horse.

Now that I am at middle age ( entering it I hope barely ) I also need to come up with a bucket list. A list of things to cross off before I do something so stupid it's fatal. ( That is the most common way for males to shuffle off this mortal coil isn't it. and if it isn't it probably is the most fun )

In youth we have goal list, school, job, certain attainments. I got some of mine at a ridiculously early age. Priest, Commissioned Officer, Intelligence Officer, Marksman, Mountain climbing instructor and Infantry Platoon Commander all before 21.

By 25 I had a decent set of educational qualifications and a share of adventures and was into a career which would have me retire at 51. Getting sick at roughly the same time was not part of the plan. Blowing my own first marriage which if you only get to have one love of your life was mine. However since I blew that then making my life's biggest mistake is also behind me so there is the plus in it.

So this blog is to look for suggestions. Throw in items you think should be in my bucket list ( some may have be resolutions first ) and I can decide add to list or not my thing. I had a Friend who made a comment about hating flying in helicopters. I said I liked it. Then he added he really felt sick after landing to which I answered I don't know I've never been in one that landed. I've jumped out, rappelled out and rolled out into platoon formation but not with them touching the ground. So going on an ordinary helicopter ride would not appeal to me. Perhaps as part of a date it may be neat. To ride in a chopper in a tux instead of combat gear would be nice. but no matter how easy, hard, time consuming or stupid throw in your ideas.

8 comments:

  1. Write your bloody book!
    Drive again.
    Keep on educating & amusing us all....xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual your not only first but am putting your advice on both lists.

    btw you can expect an outline of chapters by the end of the month. Looks like the first chapter of practical value written is going to be water. Mimi and Odette accidently showed me why it should be finished first. A comment of yours showed even we are not immune. Mimi your need to know is due to quakes Odette yours to Flooding which Tracey showed me can even happen there. The risk happens when water and sewage can mix.

    The good news is getting ready for it is easy. The better news is all of you can have fun teaching this to your families.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear the book outline is almost written. Fabulous work Sid!!!Everyone has a book somewhere inside them. Suggestions:
    Pls improve your health so that you can drive again, into the sunset with your life& love partner.At the end of this story we can all say we lived well but Sid did better.Live happily ever after...........

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sid, when is your grandchild due?
    I suggest one day at a time, start by thinking about what you want to do, how you will do it, why you want to do it, what might be the outcome, and then do step 1, such as with driving just sit behind the steering wheel,which you might do for several days at different places and times, step 2 start the car, one day at a time. You know that with your background and your intelligence, you are more than capable of accomplishing what you want. You just have to believe it and keep trying. Never say never!
    I can't wait to read your book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. first in the to-do-list, is getting a good therapist. someone who can accompany you to places that you find frightening. i hope to see you able to venture out away from home more often, and see that your fears are unfulfilled hence you get to gradually do the things that formerly give you pleasure - even riding on a chopper and rapelling down to get off!
    i know you have more things at home, entertainment wise than most people. but you do generally the same thing everyday - wake up, get dress, drink coffee, let the dog out, read, play on your computer, watch movie... of course, this sounds like a vacation i want. it's not bad, except for the panic disorder which i know you would like to trade in a heartbeat! so i say, make a step towards beating it.
    i wish to see you get off of an airplane someday...
    always,
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sid,
    I haven't been reading blogs lately since Odette hasn't been writing while on vacation (thank god for holidays). I'm sorry to hear about all the BS you've been dealing with.

    I think what you've accomplished so far with taking trips and meeting people is great. One thing you should have on your list is be happy with yourself and Keep it up! Don't let setbacks knock you too far off track.

    The second thing I'll offer for your list is the same as the others have said: FINISH THE BOOK! You're like a walking library of training manuals and history books rolled into one. Just keep on keepin on.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even if the book outline is almost done your health has improved. Just put one foot in front of the other and go forward without too many flashbacks about" the only "love" or past loves in mind. That energy will hold U captive and U will not find another if that is a goal. Yesterdayisms serve no purpose unless you can make restitution.Perhaps U keep feeding that loss of what U deemmed a superb love and U are ill. By idealizing it to that extent you have made yourself "static" and stuck.
    Take yourself out of the past and come into the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stella, it's only the chapter outline is close to done.
    Mimi about 7 1/2 months now. I don't own a car at present or a place to park it. I have never had a driving related attack. Perhaps because when driving I was usually "on alert" I've drove cars, trucks, subway trains, motorcycles. I don't expect to have to work up as I only seem to get attacks out of the blue. I am using the method your describing for the illness in general. Some typical winter illnesses are lingering this year.

    Odette: I think you mean friend when you said therapist if not ask Ray about cost. Or watch 2 1/2 men and I'll tell you now Charlie gets a bargain. ( Even the therapist said to him " Aren't hookers cheaper "

    Ray: you know about the coming survival book I think I even sent you one of the references. You make a good point so my question is this which lets call them skills would you think I can work on putting down on paper that would be useful.

    You may find this funny. My brother George the one with the turkey vulture story lives very close to the provinces ( and country's ) longest hiking trail. Sometime people will run into him and ask if they should worry if they get lost ( remember this one did the same survival training I did plus ) his answer is no just run if you hear what is now his ringtone "Duelling Banjos"

    ReplyDelete