Friday, August 7, 2009

The Seven Deadly Sins

The seven deadly sins were developed as teaching tool by the Catholic church several hundred years ago. I think today they can serve as a self assessment tool to see what we need to work on. This may be more practical they may also serve as a checklist of warning signs in others you should watch for. Especially if it is the start of a romantic relationship. I would also add the caveat those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. I am not referring solely to your history but also failing to take the time to discover the history of your potential other.

Greed or avarice is sometimes called covetousness and is the only one specifically mentioned as a Commandment.

Vanity is normally called Pride and considered the first deadly sin.

Wrath is also called Anger.

Envy is also of course called jealously.
























The Brad Pitt, Morgan Freeman, Kevin Spacey film highlights these things in a modern context. For Classical views there is a very old Morality play called "Everyman" and of course "Dr Faustus" the play by Christopher Marlowe. ( I recommend that one the poetry in it is wonderful. ). You may also be interested in looking the Seven Cardinal Virtues and the Seven Sacraments.

Today I switched modes to serious.

Question.
Should I split into two separate blogs. One for Humour and one for practical or informative?

7 comments:

  1. Just continue to combine humour & seriousness, it's all entertaining! Love the images btw. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what they say Tracey. A picture is worth a thousand words and I didn't feel like doing all that typing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. where did you get all these pics? with pretty models like that, who wouldnt be tempted to sin?!!! hahaha.
    its always interesting reading your blog coz we don't know what we will be getting - serious info or welcoming laughter. keep it up!!
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got the point of the lesson even if you didn't realize it Odette. The seven deadly sins are not sins of themselves but rather personal traits that lead to sin.

    In other words the things you need to remove from your personality ( I'm using the word you in the universal sense here ) in order to make sure you can't be lead into temptation. To be the kind of guy can got to a strip club with a bunch of friends and be the designated driver and keep his friends making fools of themselves withing limits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Sid. I would like to be Lust ;)

    Don't split them... as we enjoy the mix. We are adults and can decide for ourselves if thsi post is for us, without losing interest in Sid.
    Although I understand your dilemna as you are effectively talking to two different audiences. I am considering a second - one more personal about the home and kids, and the other the one on animals /vet only.. to suit a target audience(read potential paying) who don't want to read about my children!

    I suppose you just have to link back to the personal one if you do a post on the other that can cross over. Odette has two... my main fear is lack of time - don't want to do half a job as I have so much reading already.... no time for work lol

    All fun - have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fi: Time is not a big problem for me I'm retired and when motivated a terrible over achiever. I often feel like posting more than a single article a day ( usually funny ones as I have this thing about making people laugh ) I however feel that an article should remain the most recent one for at least a day because a day plus seems to be what it takes to hit everyone's "computer time" or free time they choose use up relaxing in front the boob tube the second generation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Odette: All of those models are too thin for my taste except Gluttony and she is about 2 pounds overweight.

    ReplyDelete