Tuesday, June 23, 2009

TV Viewing


Why I Like the show Two & a Half Men

Let’s see first because when they theme song they made sure the males in the viewing audience could remember all Two & a Half Words. Which for those who may not watch are Men, Manly & ahaaaa. Even guys can remember that.

They have characters guys can relate too. Unfortunately they are also many guys figure that they are based on characters they are related to.

I have never seen what I would consider an outlandish plot. In other words so far they haven’t had a story to weird to have not been something I or one or all of my brothers and every other straight male on the planet has probably done something worse than. ( I’m not qualified to speak for other planets though lots of folks have expressed the opinion that I’m not originally from this one to begin with ).

They joke that Charlie Sheen is just playing Charlie Sheen. In fact he is being a modern everyman. Guys wish they were typically like Charlie but fell like his brother Alan most of the time ( played by Jon Cryer ). No offense Mom’s but guys never outgrow the dreaded fear of getting Mommy mad at you ( we take solace that Mom’s generally only find out about 0.0000015% of the things we do that Mom’s should get mad at us for ) .
Dad’s generally know of about 1% of the stuff we do but don’t rat us out because then they would have to admit they had done them as well.

Two of my favorite episodes had bits that were priceless by Mom. One where she has them go to a costume party. The 3 of them as flying Monkeys and her as the Wicked Witch. The other episode where a cult of Satan worshiping women have the guys terrified till their leader gets terrified by discovering Evelyn is their real life mother.

Some of the real guy moments.

They insult each other and don’t regard the insults as insults since they are true.

No matter how stupid something they have done is they know they will in time ( often seconds ) do something even dumber.

They back each other up but won’t admit that.

The dumbest ideas possible are considered not dismissed out of hand. Only sensible ideas are dismissed out of hand which isn’t stupid because if they were sensible they wouldn’t do them anyway.

They know guys will eat anything. For example in a fancy restaurant Charlie asks Jake “Ever eat snails” answer “Of course” reply “I meant in a restaurant.”.

I think I may watch a bunch of episodes and do a you might be a guy if quiz.

For example : You might be a guy if you have tried dog treats to see what they taste like then shared the rest of the box with the dog. ( if there is a kid around he wants some too so you have to split the box 3 ways. If the kid is your nephew and your brother comes home and wants to know why your feeding his kid dog treats it ends up 4 ways. Depending on brand some of them aren’t all that bad.

4 comments:

  1. i have seen maybe one or two episode of this show...but the way you had described it, i am now eager to watch more!!!
    i just thought at first that charlie sheen is miscast as he had never done comedy films before... oh yeah i remember him in "scary movie", and that was funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear lord Sid,

    Did you have to give away all our secrets?

    Speaking of which, yes I did try a piece of our dog's food when I was a kid. Nearly broke a tooth too. Now I know why dogs always want table scraps. It was so nasty, I had to spit it out and drink a glass of pop and a glass of milk because water wouldn't wash it down.

    I've seen most of the episodes of Two & a Half Men from the first few seasons. I don't watch much prime time TV. I'm usually watching History channel, sci-fi channel or a Tribe game. I was supprised to see how much Jake had grown.

    This has to be one of the most accurate "guy" shows in a long time and deals with almost all aspects of family. The Satanic episode was a particular favorite of mine but, not because of the Satanic part. However, do to the risk of incriminating myself in the future, I can't go into details.

    Keep em coming Sid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen this, but it does show on one of the sky channels, so after reading this, I'm gonna make sure I don't miss it!
    Tracey
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ray I can't possibly give away all our secrets. Even Einstein said Only two things were infinite the Universe and Human Stupidity and that he wasn't sure about the universe. The only thing in more abundant supply then Human Stupidity is Male Stupidity. About which I will continue to warn the sex which does not the turn off brain gene on a regular basis.

    As to why the episode is one your favorites did you beat Charlies personal best of 13?

    ReplyDelete