Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Politcally Correct Reference Books

Beside my computer I keep a copy of the Penguin English Dictionary. I think it comes from the Oxford. ( IN other words English Language not American ).

I wanted to post a comment on Odette's article today and needed to look up the spelling of the name of a Greek god. Probably the hardest one to spell. To my surprise his name was not there. So I thought ok maybe I just can't spell it I'll look up the Roman version and it should have the Greek too. So I check no Roman version either. Which of course started a search for all the ancient God's names I could think of. Not one not even Zeus. I was Shocked has political correctness secretly made it's way into our reference books now.

Is anyone else shocked. Or am I alone in this?

By the Way the dictionary is close to 4 inches thick and has no pictures.

5 comments:

  1. Well of course looking at the responses pouring in from everywhere I thought it was common knowledge that you were looking for Hephaestus or Vulcan the proletariat God ofte Olympians& Lemnos island his domain. Yes indeed that is the plight of mankind today tearing down everything to zero and constant revisionism they cannot define original terms.May the Olympic flame about to enter Vancouver and be illumined for the Games of the Olympiad bring us to the elevated spirit and ability to surpass oneself that the ancients indeed gave us inspiration to do.
    Truce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey i think this is where i am suposed to go, so you can get to my bloggie things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sid, I have an award for you at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mimi I will get to that withing a few days. I'm not sure I follow a dozen blogs.

    I don't really thy to inspire folks just brighten their day with a chuckle. unfortunately some times I write serious things. If I'm not joking the world is in trouble

    ReplyDelete