Sunday, September 27, 2009

Weather

The weather affects us all. Right now Odette has weather so bad it has made the paper here 12.000 miles away. So far that you can’t get any further away and still be on the same planet. (I know sometimes I think like I’m really a different planet but that’s only a theory no one has proved that yet). They are getting the most rain they have had in 42 years.

Here it is going about its annual shift from summer to fall. A shift which is rarely smooth and this year is no exception. Plants which pollinates in the fall cause allergy sufferers to have headaches red eyes and runny noses. Since the flu scare is on this means some folks panic. (Others do remember this happens most years). You don’t know how to dress, cold in the morning hot by noon or vice-versa. About the only constant is underwear still goes on the inside. Weather also seems to effect mood. At the moment mine is lethargic. I’m thankful I know plenty of folks who are in some discomfort or greater than regular discomfort due to the changes in weather.

However rather than dwell on our petty weather problems lets pray for those like Odette who are right now facing Wrath of God scale weather.

7 comments:

  1. I did a similar post last night, I hope Cedric gets home safe & sound.

    P.S. Superman wears his underwear on the outside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm praying for our sweet friend Odette. She has had a miserable week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you all for thinking of me during this difficult times. we don't have water supply here right now, and i can't keep still in the office so i decided to take the day off to look for my son. this is so upsetting..
    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. thinking of all those people.

    I am pleased that as I woke up this morning and read the blogs and facebook i see that Cedric is fine! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Odette thank you for letting me know Cedric is fine.

    Tracey I always wanted to be Batman when I grew up. Here I was thinking get Super Rich, Training, Utility Belt, Batmobile and all I had to do was wear my underwear on the outside. Good thing he's an escape artist too for when the men in white coats come to put in the room with the very thick fluffy wallpaper.

    Oscar Wilde's last words "Either that wallpaper goes or I do."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Weather and seasons alike affect moods. In he U.K seasonal affective disorder is huge!!
    They have also found that many people with mental illness tend to have a rougher time in season interchanges, i.e spring and autumn.
    Also animals tend to have a higher mortality in spring and autumn opposed to winter as most would think.
    lol I love the underwear bit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes SAD is serious here too.

    Also the habit of making kids wear sunscreen all the time combined with them drinking less milk. ( vitamin D is added to milk here ) Rickets the vitamin D deficency illness wiped out in the 20s is now back.

    As for SAD it takes full spectrum sunlight or a special blue light that cost a few hundred dollars to treat it at home.

    I did some math and have figured out a way to make an equally or better one for a few dollars. ( I'm making myself one as I get minor SAD ) it takes too aimable lamps ie gooseneck you can get at any thrift store and a cheap mirror. Possition them so the light is reflected at you from both lamps. Reading computer tv or anything. One lamp needs to be one of then new compact floresents for the violet and blue end of the spectrum the other one of the old bulb types for the red end. Result adds up to equivalent of full sunlight. I did the math then ran it past George my brother who is an expert on medical uses of light. He said it should work slighly better than the store bought ones I estimate a high of $15 more likely $10. Make sure the lumens are equal. ie if the bulb is a 60 the compact should equal a sixty. 40's are out there but I am going to aim at 100's. I may do it by putting one of each in the computer room so it happens just while I am on the machine

    ReplyDelete