Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas & about Boxing Day


I wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Future filled with Joy & Accomplishment

I am spending this Christmas completely alone except for the pets. The family members living nearby are all ill at the moment. I myself don't drive anymore so this year I am having it quietly at home.

Tomorrow is Boxing day. I don't know how many other countries have Boxing Day the day after Christmas as a Holiday but I do know most Canadians no longer know the meaning of this particular Holiday. I do so let's just distribute that information.

In year gone by say more than 50 ago, people didn't have the extravagances we do today. Children had a few toys rather than more electronics than it took us to send men to the Moon. Also most people had one or at the most two warm jackets etc. These pieces of Clothing were often replaced at Christmas as gifts were often of a practical nature then. Especially in the depression.

Boxing day came about from people boxing up their old jackets, gloves, hats, toys they had outgrown etc and taking them down to charities or churches to donate to the poor. Thus it became a holiday a way of continuing to give at Christmas.

Today it is a retail shopping spree. However if more knew of the origin of this holiday and it's continuing of the Christmas spirit of giving. We could still box up that we have replaced at Christmas and donate it. After all it really does feel better to give than to recieve.

2 comments:

  1. hahaha, so that's what you mean by "boxing" day! i thought at first you were reffering to the battle in the boxing arena.
    well thats the very essence of sharing, and that it comes right after xmas makes more meaningful.
    i feel much better now, sid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted this message because I didn't know of "one" living Canadian who knew what the holiday meant. Not even my parents knew. I was taught about it by my Grandparents now passed on. I am also one of those people who retains any and all relatively useless information. Part of why I picked the title for the page.

    ReplyDelete