Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Icons, Emblems, Mottos



I have had many people comment on the image I use in many of my posts. The Knight in Armor image which is the image I use here on the blog and is the center of the crossed broadswords at the start of this post.

There is a story goes with this image. It was chosen for me by my daughter. A few years ago the 2 of us were at the
CNE ( Canadian National Exhibition ). There was a booth were a computer would merge your image with a fantasy picture. Most would for example put your head on Arnold's body or a girl's on the body of a supermodel. My daughter and I decided to each get one but I asked her to chose which one for me. She looked over a great many and finally chose the Knight in Armor. As it was tried she could see the computer screen and what it look like while I could not. She said to me " Dad, this is the real you ". When the result came out I was impressed and flattered. I put it in a drawer when we got home and it sat there a while. It was when I needed an icon that was looking for something else and came across it again. I scanned it and asked the opinions of a few friends. All said the same thing "That is the real you"

So I used it and have only gotten positive feedback on it. The broadswords crossed in the back of the image at the top of the page are exact same kind as I wore/carried as an officer in one of Canada's Highland Regiments, The Lorne Scots whose regimental crest is at the top left of these pages. It was a great honor to serve my country. What I was taught during those years changed me in many ways. I can't think of any that was not for the better. The skills I
acquired have given me the abilities to save lives on occasion and the things we went through the training to do it without hesitating. The Queen's Commission commands us to conduct ourselves as an "Officer and Gentleman". I for one have taken that command to heart. I have even adopted as a personal motto and code of conduct the English translation of the motto of the Order of the Garter. Can an Honorable Man Think Evil. It is sometimes translated as Evil to him who thinks evil.

Of course we all think evil at times. The point is not to act on it. To strive to live our lives as the most Honorable men or women we can. What I strive for is to be a good example. Not to any one person but to all.
Whether they know me well or only in passing. Something I have learned over the years is it is extremely difficult to stand against a good example. It is harder to live as that example. However it is a very worthy thing to strive to become and I can honestly say I do my best to live up to that motto.

3 comments:

  1. YAY! First to comment! I know this guy who get's offended and takes it personal if people don't leave comments. This guy gives me instant rage too so I usually leave him anonymous comments yelling at him. (He's ok with it though, since he want's feedback.) I won't leave anonymous yelling-at-you comments though Sid. Since this guy is egocentric and you're a genuine sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, your page metamorphs so fast and fits your personality to a T! I like the way the while page is being covered, i wish i was able to get a template like this one.
    anyway, i don't understand why my flag isn't shown in the widget counter yet. so i keep refreshing the page, coz i know if it did, the counter will be scrolling by now, hahaha.
    Hey this is a good idea Sid as you will most definitely inspire those who will stumble into your page.
    You are indeed a knight in shinning armour...
    So keep on writing, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  3. correction: it's suppose to be "whole" page is being covered...

    ReplyDelete