Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Thank God we can Heat Our Homes



Just back from walking the Dog and getting a hot drink, Normally I have to wait for the drink to cool down before I drink it at least 5 to 10 minutes. I actually had to put it in the microwave to warm it up a bit today even though the candy store I get it at is only 100 yards or so away.

Makes me glad to warm up the apartment or house when I had one only involves moving a lever on the thermostat. I can recall when at my Grandparents cottage needing to cut down trees and split wood. Lighting was done with kerosene lamps. I'm not stone age old only feel it at times. However something people who scream about greenhouse gasses should remember is technology doesn't get everywhere at the same time. Canada is one of the worlds wealthier countries and we still have vast areas without electricity. Comes with also being one of the worlds largest countries, next to Russia the largest. If Americans want to know where they fall it is 5th in area.

China having had a huge population for longer than anyone else, has had problems building new buildings with central heating or the means to supply central heating. Having friends who moved there ( they first went to perform at China's version of Disneyland then teach them bagpipes. I'm not sure if teaching the Chinese to play bagpipes is Cultural Exchange or Crimes against Humanity ). On their visits back here the twins ( both learned to play in the same Regiment I served in ) commented that the biggest difference is the attitudes of the sexes towards each other. Here they feel as if being male makes them automatically villains, while there male or female you are judged on you merits and behaviour.

Anyway it is cold here today -6 and windy. That is -6 C so still above 0 F for our American friends. 0 C is the temp water freezes at and 100 C where it boils at. 0 F is the temp salt water freezes at and 100 was meant to be body temp. As measuring was a less accurate when that scale came to first be used and people vary a bit in their temperatures it missed by a bit with 98.6 being average body temp. A bit of trivia which unless you are in a trivia contest or on jeopardy is probably of no use to you. Of course if someone mentions the cold and you wish them to think you spend all your time memorizing the encyclopedia it may be worth a mention.

In the meantime, I shall endeavor to remain indoors enjoying the benefits of living in a country and a part of it which has lots of both natural gas and electricity.

4 comments:

  1. It was -15C here last night & -6 all day long. I am SO grateful for a warm home. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was 2 degrees below zero here this am. and it was foggy on the way to work i can barely see the road! good thing though that the sun peered through at noon till 4 pm. i don't like it when it's gloomy the whole day.
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was not to long ago I had a wood burning fireplace. Decorate but functional. A trick I learned that surprised me is that it is easier to split wood if it is frozen. The Axe shatters it instead of getting stuck and you look like an idiot trying to get it out. Problem is you overheat fast and sweaty clothes are dangerous in the cold. But if you only cut a day or two's worth of wood no problem. In summer you try to cut weeks at a time. Great exercise but no where near as easy.

    I wonder as I am only a generation removed from wood and coal being the only choices how my grandparents did it. ( maybe 2 generations but my parents it was by choice )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sid! Yesterday it was 89 degrees here, after being in the low 60's all week. I spent the entire day in an indoor ice skating rink with my daughter and her friends, and it was cold. They have 2 huge rinks and blast the ac as low as it can go to create a nice artic atmosphere.
    Probably not as cold as where you are...sorry! Stay warm and watch some movies that take place in nice, cunny locations. Do you get the travel channel on tv?

    ReplyDelete