Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Some Positive News With Regards My Illness

For once I have had a couple positive things happen as far as my illness goes happen back to back to back. In the hopes that good news happening to one of us may rub off on the other I am going to tell of it here.

As many of you know I have Panic Disorder with Agoraphobia.

The more I learn about how common it is the more amazed I am.

I have just joined a group for folks with various mental illness. The big advantage for me is they travel a few times a month and the complete lack of being able to travel has for the past while been a brick wall as far as the progression of my therapy and improvement possibilities go.

I have learned a bit more about it and find having abuse in childhood makes it more likely. My moving and peer abuse my be a factor plus for a time my Mom was abusive. I have forgiven her and now even know what brought about the change in her personality that caused her to become abusive for a time. Unfortunately it was about 10 years.

However the being able to travel is good news. Now for some more. When things get even slightly bad sleep patterns get poor for me and there is a bit of a snowball effect. I speak like I write. Or to put it bluntly the kind of things you see me write ( down to the wisecracks and bits of totally useless knowledge that led me to give the blog it's name ). While at the shrink's I happened to mention I wished L-Tryptophen the natural chemical found in turkey that makes you so sleepy after a turkey dinner had been pulled from the market 20 years ago after a contaminated batch killed some people in the states. He commented it wasn't pulled they just moved it to being an Rx and wrote me an Rx for it right away. There has never been any bad effects attributed to it as it was the contamination that had done the poisoning. It has even had some good results in conjunction with other meds in treating a number of illness including mine. He apologized for not thinking of it himself. It isn't a popular drug and the pharmacy even had to special order it in for me but I think at least one aspect of a problem with my illness will now be a thing of the past. And without the calories of a big turkey dinner.

Third came as I was discussing whether my level of concern over something outside my control going on in my life was warranted. He made a point I am surprised I haven't heard before considering the length of time I have been being treated for this. He commented that in many cases of illness in the anxiety family it is not a particular event that triggers the anxiety but that the anxiety is there waiting and when something happens it latches onto some event to blame. Knowing this may help me avoid over reacting to things and thus help keep the general level manageable.

I don't know if any of this will help any of you but even if it doesn't maybe some of the good luck will rub off. One of the first events with the group is a shopping trip to a nearby city so I may be able to pick up some gifts for some of you. As Tracey knows with postal speeds you may be lucky to have them for next Xmas. The next is to a High End Professional Magic Show at Niagara Falls. I promise to my camera. I don't know if shots of the show will be allowed but we will be going by the lit up falls at night so those may be nice. It's a dinner show and one of the tricks is making Tigers disappear. Hopefully not via the dinner plates. Now I've done it. I'm going to spend the next week wondering what Tiger would taste like. I have already had alligator and octopus. I like both of those. As my Grandmother used to say she would rather have the experience than die wondering.

Hey Ray get you get a chance to look at any of the manual I sent you?

7 comments:

  1. Maybe I should add. Bear is good. Moose is good, venison (deer) is good but has a distinctive flavor. I like domestic rabbit but wild rabbit is gross and wolf tastes a lot like bear which is a lot like beef just have to make sure you get zero fat if eating bear as bear fat is super gross tasting.

    Tree bark is bland, in an emergency if you know how to prepare it lichens which grow on rocks are ok though plain. Ants are delicious though I have yet to try any more insects. If I ever get to Odette's homeland I'm going to have to try baluat to prove I'm not a wimp.

    One of the guys at work had some once and offered everyone some but had no takers. I was on vacation at the time. Funny the same thing happened when I took Haggis to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that sounds like the Sid of old!!! Well done, I hope you have some fun, also hope you can take photographs! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The trips sound like fun!
    Let me know how the L-Tryptophen works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mimi I used to use it 20 years ago when it was over the counter at health food stores. It's exactly like a Thanksgiving dinner without the calories or your Mom shakeing you by the shoulder to wake you for the midnight shift at work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When i read the blog title, i shriek with delight knowing this will be a positive post. It made me even happier to know that you will be going out of your comfort zone to see the world. yes, joining this group is a positive step toward healing. maybe soon you can travel to Asia, no?
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous news Sid, congrats being on a road to recovery!!!!! Yesssssssssss, as Napolean Dynamite would hiss.:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sid,
    It hasn't gotten here yet but this is the x-mas rush for all postal serveses so almost everything will be bogged down for a while

    ReplyDelete