Monday, January 10, 2011

George Arthur Brechin 18 Oct 1956 - 14 Dec 2010



It's almost impossible to write what is basically an obit for a younger brother you looked up to.

As some of you know while I try not to look down on anyone, I make a real effort to look at everyone as my equal. However there are some people I always looked up to. George was one of those people. Call them my personal heroes. Different people for different things. My Grandfather was my overall hero. My Dad for his ability to treat everyone fairly and never loose his self control. With George though he had terrific Academic skills it was his sense of Justice I always looked up to. One thing he would not tolerate was a bully. Mind you his method of dealing with a bully was normally to bully the bully so badly the bully would never dare bully again. If it was a physical bully though George was usually smaller he would use that to embarass the bully because though George never swung first ( and George would always make sure there were witness to that ) when the swinging stopped the bully would be unable to stand. For mental bullies George would trade insults till the other was in tears. I saw him do that with Grown men.

There were lots of things I admired about George but as I first said most was his sense of Justice.

His academics and problem solving abilities were great. If you have something electronic in your body controling something you probably owe what the device does to George as he was the one solved the problem of Electronic devices interfacing with human nerves. That was around 1981. He was the first Technologist to be published in a Medical Journal. He was published a few more times before he became effectively disabled. For the past 20 years or so he lived in near constant pain.

I truly miss him and the only consolation I have is that he no longer has to deal with the pain.

I have lost not only a brother but one my heroes.

The following will show a bit more about the type of man he was. I suggest you double click on the pictures so you can read the whole articles they are too small in the Blog photos.





4 comments:

  1. I am sorry for your loss. My father passed away recently and I am still grieving. Your brother sounds like a wonderful person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mimi

    George would have blushed and insisted he was not a wonderful person. He never looked at himself in that light at all. He did however try very hard to do what he saw as right. He had his own code of right and wrong and not only lived it but lived it even if it cost him. He was a good man despite himself and better because did his best to be the best that he could be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice looking man. You have wonderful memories to hold on to Sid. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. you and your brother thrive in helping other peole in need. i think george was actually emulating you. you were a good example to him and even when he died alone, i am sure many will remeber him fondly.
    keep his memories alive...
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete