Thursday, August 2, 2012

Sorry for the being last then prolific

I apologize for not writing lately. There is a reason. The computer I use for email and things like blogging is in a part of the apartment I don't Air Condition ( don't want to risk overload old wiring and I do air condition the other half of the place so I'm mainly catching up on old tv and movies I missed for various reasons growing up and working mostly afternoon shift. Some of the stuff I have found is from before I was born and I'm close to 60 ) In fact I estimate if I just watched the old stuff I have for 10 hours a day it would take me 2 years to watch it all ( you should see my DVD collection ) some very rare stuff I have had to find and download.

Anyway the heat here has been record breaking and persistent. July had 18 days with high temperature warnings ( usually accompanied by smog which really doesn't apply here, UV and Pollen count warnings ) If anyone does have to go out. Zinc Oxide is very cheap sells in the baby section for $2 a bottle or less and is the main ingredient in most sun blocks. By itself is SPF 100 it is what professional climbers use. If you don't know the SPF rating is the number of minutes you can spend in the sun before it is equal to one minute without any kind of sun block. You may notice in climbing movies about very high altitudes they have white under their eyes. That is thick Zinc Oxide as high up there is less atmosphere to have filtered out the UV. I once saw someone get 3rd degree burns in 20 minutes because he decided to get a tan not realizing how intense the UV was at 11,000 feet and having lots of it reflected back as well as we were surrounded by Glaciers.

So in a nutshell Zinc Oxide cheap, effective non toxic and also good for diaper rash.


Sid

No comments:

Post a Comment