Saturday, February 19, 2011

Keeping on Track day Two



As most of you know I believe that while we may not have a choice about growing older ( I'm not sure about that completely ) but we can choose not to grow up. ( Millions of males agree with me just look at how we behave ) However, I also believe if we stop seeking after knowledge and trying to better ourselves we do start to age.

Tracey commented on her niece who is fluent in several languages, very impressive. I know one of the people who read this from Toronto and emails me rather than commenting to the world ( in many cases a good choice, ) is fluent in most of those languages. AS the writer lives in Toronto I should mention for readers who do live there while I lived there the board of Education offered courses at Central Technical School ( an excellent trades oriented school normally ) in 14 languages not common in High School. It is where I took my first Japanese course ( second year I and 4 other adults mistook a line in the course description and assumed intermediate meant difficulty level not second year of a 3 year course. There were only enough students registered for it to run it if no one dropped out. As none of the five of us needed to pass it having all graduated high school years earlier ( I think all five of us had at least one college diploma as well, one was a Doctor of Chinese Medicine ) we stayed and the teacher worked very hard to teach two years at once. Even in the Army I have never seen so dedicated an instructor. Also in the Colonade ( not sure how it is spelt ) on Bloor street on the second floor the Japan Foundation has an office and a Library free to the public ( or next to free ) run by the government of Japan which also puts on art exhibits etc and has a lending library. There are also two cultural center buildings ( quite large size of a typical mall ) where you can study anything Japanese from Origami to Karate to Sword fighting with the steel swords to Flower arranging or tea ceremony. If you are interested in something Japanese which they are not teaching at the time they will find a teacher and start to teach it even for just a few people. There is also a smaller version in Hamilton at 25 Hempstead Rd on the mountain ( I took language lessons there and took part in my first tea ceremony ).

The coffee is starting to kick in and a very mild headache on the rare side is fading an asprin should take care of the rest shortly. I am a little slow waking today. I do often get to bed late and as a result sleep late. An unfortunate effect of 21 years working either night or afternoon shift. In my near mindless ( or male you can decide ) state this morning I found myself having opened the fridge about to take a pee when I realized this was not the toilet. I have only done that a couple times in my life and never soiled the fridge. For some reason I wake with a bit of a jolt at that time.

2 comments:

  1. I did 3 miles at 2.6 mph this morning. Bottom of my feet still need toughening up. I had to cut the water blisters. They heal real fast though so I will still probably be able to do 3 miles before bed tonight. Wish I still had army boot with the issue wool socks. They really helped with getting feet toughened. Right now I walking gingerly. No guts no glory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A hard on & peeing in the fridge???? Boy you must look a sight! xxx

    ReplyDelete