Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Seeing Depressin hitting Hamilton

Yesterday a friend had a 7 pm appointment in Hamilton. Knowing I need to get away for therapy reasons she drove me to the area which is downtown Hamilton and I headed for the Mall at the City's Center.

I guess it has been 8 years since I was last there.

I was shocked. Most of the mall was closed by 5. Same with almost every store downtown. What was open were coffee shops, sushi shops and the odd convience store. Last time I was in downtown Hamilton you could not find sushi anywhere. I did have sushi for dinner but the waiter spoke no Japanese ( I had to order again in English ).

It looked like Buffalo 30 years ago. I guess only Ray will know what I mean. Not as bad as Detroit but Detroit has not been rebuilt after the wild Halloween in I think it was 85 when most of downtown was hit by arson. My brother lived across the river at the time in Windsor. He tells me most of the people in Windsor took lawn chairs down to the waterfront park and watched Detroit burn. The movie the Crow is partly about that year.

Good news no Panic Attack. Bad news I am exhausted today. ( a marked improvement ). Other bad news I won't be putting up a Blog for Rocky till tomorrow or late this evening. My allergies are also acting up as it is a bit above freezing some trees may be pollinating. Itchy eyes plus the drowsy from the allergy meds. Yes I am going to use some eye drops too.

Even if I don't blog tonight or tomorrow Rocky will. I promised him.

5 comments:

  1. Good on you sidith, great progress, bummer about the town being a ghost town, that is a let down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even with the spectacle of all that U did not have a panic attack. That is the best news.
    Capitalism goes through phases. I have come to appreciate my parents and yours for the era they lived in was not all that prosperous but they made something of it with thirty year rental leases and innovative business ideas. I think we have to scrutinize their ways before we teardown to zero and revise to a modernity that has probably brought this economic "marasmus" on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ditto with Stella. i am glad that you did not have a panic attack! seeing a ghost town could be depressing but it has it's novelty too. that means life there is more quiet and laid back. you know that people are at there homes, relaxing, instead of being in the street or bars. my home town is like that - stores closes at 7pm, very few cars roam the street at night fall. i like it.
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are many closed businesses here, too.
    You never know when you go out if the place will still exist!
    It's great that you had sushi and had a nice trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW Sid!

    AS soon as I read the part about Halloween fires my first thought was the Crow movie. lol I saw some "then and now" pics of Detroit compaired to Hiroshima. The pre WW II era Detroit was a beautiful city thriving with businesses, commerce and traffic. Hiroshima had nothing much to speak about.

    Now, as Sid mentioned, Detroit looks almost as bad as burnt out Hiroshima did after they dropped the bomb in WW II. Hiroshima, on the other hand, is now an unbievably pristine technological wonder. It's disgusting and it's because of things like this that I'm almost ashamed to admit I'm American. Thankfully, many of our major cities are upgrading and expanding. Even here in Cleveland.

    Anyway, it's definately a great sign that you had no panic attacks Sid. Keep on keepin on.

    ReplyDelete