Sunday, April 19, 2009

Kids and Reading

I was one of those lucky people who could read before getting to school. Which meant I didn't have to limit myself to learning to read the way the school system tries to teach it but rather only within my own limits. To be honest I don't think humans have any limits. My father used to read to me with me in his lap and he was one of those people who moved his finger under the word he was reading. As a result I learned to recognize the whole words rather than sound them out. On top of that when I traveled with my Grandparents. I would try to read signs and they would help when I couldn't read them. Also early on I developed a love of comic books. I learned a great deal from comics mainly they improved my reading. The point of this is simple, anything a kid wants to read help them read it and let them read it ( with the exception of so called adult material. I tend to think they call things adult when you would be embarassed to have your kids catch you reading it.)

3 comments:

  1. i too is a voracious reader. it was my auntie, a teacher who gave me my first book "the ugly duckling" and since then iam hook to reading. from the grimms fairytale to paper backs and novel.
    i love reading coz it transport you into the world of the character in the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Odette,
    Considering you eat those poor defenseless little baby birds...you should've be ashamed to read that book (or at least felt guilty ou might've eaten his brother). :(

    Sid,
    You took the words right out of my mouth about adult reading. I was the "slow" kid in the family (one step away from short bus rider). I had problems with reading comprehension but MAN did I love skimming and looking through Marvel comics!

    It wasn't until I was about 12 that I even cared about how well I could read. Some of it was in defiance to my parents and school. After that, I finally started to read entire comic books I had only read bits and pieces of.

    Wouldn't you know...the drawings finally started to make sense. lol In my early teens, I couldn't get enough. A friend was reading a cheap, dime store series of novels and I was hooked.

    Even though they were about a corny, secret, mercinary knock off of Delta Force, they authors still wrote very proper english. Even when describing all the bloody gore of knifes slicing into organs and bullets ripping into gray matter and limbs being blown off and bones snapping and, and, and...(my favorite parts).

    Anyway, a hight school english lit teacher made fun of my reading them, right in front of the class. As if they were like reading "See Jane Run" type books. Little did the pompous ass know, Those same books are why I speak, and wright, so much better now.

    People sometimes assume I'm a college level edumicated like person just because of the way I speak. I saw that teacher while walking into a local store once, recognized him and introduced myself.

    I just wish I would've rubbed his nose in the fact I a ton of different things from reading including how to speek proper like. All from cheap, dime store novels. No matter what your kids like to read, encurage them to read. With the exception of men putting things together from a very detailed manual, there's nothing kids can't learn, or learn to do, if they can read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, if that's a pic of a Batman side kick, where do I sign up for the Bat Academy?

    ReplyDelete