Friday, March 6, 2009

Duct tape and Sanitary Napkins.

Looking at the title of this article you may wonder what those two items could possibly have to do with each other.

They both happen to be among the items I carry with me at all times and have larger amounts of in survival and first aid kits.

I also always have a high quality folding single blade locking pocket knife and a multi tool and a lighter on me.

Duct tape really has no need to explain. It is a modern version of Baden-Powell's ( the founder of Scouting ) always carry a shoelace. With Duct tape you can repair almost anything but the common cold or a broken heart. Give him time Red Green may figure out how to do that with duct tape. I don't carry a roll of Duct tape exactly. I take a piece of heavy plastic cut it to inches by 3 inches and transfer a roll of duct tape from the cardboard spool it comes on to this. This way it fits easily in a pocket and you do have a full roll.

Sanitary napkins require a bit more explanation. I use them as field dressings. Band aids are only good for very small injuries ( I do carry a couple bandaids in my wallet). Sanitary napkins are big enough to be useful for slightly larger cuts and in a first aid kit you should have a variety of sizes for a variety of sizes of injuries. Price wise they are close to as good as field dressings in quality at a tiny fraction of the cost. My first aid kits ( I have several varying from I'm leaving the house to weekend camp, to camping with my brother's ( someone is going to do something stupid and really need first aid. ) to my home keep someone alive till the ambulance arrives size. The sanitary napkins go from panty liners to maternity pads. ( try explaining to the pharmacist why a single male wants maternity pads and odds are he will end up ordering himself some for his first aid kit. My Doctor did. )

The Knife and multi tool. Make sure any blade you use locks. If you don't you may find yourself needing the sanitary napkins to stop the bleeding. As for the multi tool if you can afford it get one all the tools lock into position on. If not never use the knife blade or even break it off. If you have the tools and skill you may want to make it into some other type of tool by replacing it or cutting it down.

As for the lighter. I am old fashioned and will still light a ladies cigarette even though I don't approve of the habit and don't smoke myself. However carrying lighters once saved my life by letting me start a fire with very wet wood.

That is for a another time as the story is a good one.

2 comments:

  1. indeed Sid, a truly helpful tips, i myself didn't know i can use the sanitary napkin for purposes other that what it is intended for.

    and you're right, we all must have those survival kit. it's better that we have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
    very nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Sid, i have an award for you. come to my page and get it, ok?

    ReplyDelete